United States, San Francisco
The Brand Team plays a key role in how we bring our games to market, and how we inspire people to play our games for years on end. It’s no small task. This means producing creative that excites and connects people to our games, that makes players and non-players alike smile. This means setting the standard for how to create a meaningful brand around free-to-play games, pushing the envelope with creative and breaking the rules with media execution. We always need to find new ways to keep our games, and our players, as celebrated as they deserve to be.
The ideal Brand Marketing candidate has the rare ability to provide strategic leadership, drive consensus across different teams, and tap into killer creative instincts. You might be in Helsinki one week, Tokyo the next, and then in Los Angeles reviewing creative for an upcoming campaign. With all the challenges comes limitless creative empowerment. You will be responsible for making your vision a reality!
About the role
Mobile games and their associated marketing are still “new.” There are no rules to speak of yet – a blank canvas to define what “great” means. What’s more important: “performance marketing” or “brand marketing?” How should you balance the two? At Supercell, we don’t necessarily subscribe to the way most marketers use any of these terms. We believe in our fantastic games and we believe they should impact players and the surrounding pop culture for years, and maybe even decades. To achieve that, our games need to connect with and excite people. They need to make players and non-players alike smile at the thought of them. They need to keep charming those people over and over again, no matter how or where. Then they’ll be great brands. Pretty grandiose ideas, right?
We’ve already taken our first few steps toward fueling passion and excitement globally for our games, worlds, and characters. Over the past 2 years, we have assembled an exceptional team, internally and externally, that has crafted epic TV and OOH campaigns with an integrated approach to mobile advertising. All with unwavering dedication to our player community – hey, we even introduced people to AngryNeeson52 in a Super Bowl ad. Even with that, we’ve only just gotten started.
Clash of Clans and Hay Day are the best and most beloved games of their kind on the planet. Boom Beach just recently started to show its true potential as a Top 5 game as well, and our brand new game Clash Royale only recently launched globally on both iOS and Android. Supercell’s developers also continue to work on fantastic new games that we can’t wait to share with players. Meanwhile, our marketing team has shaped and re-shaped what it means to market mobile games, through fantastic creative and rule-breaking media execution.
Our brand marketing team has set the standard for how to create a meaningful (and fun, quirky, odd) brand for a free-to-play mobile game featuring Barbarians or Chickens or island-hopping Riflemen or Knights. Keeping that standard up means having vision for what’s next, what’s never been done before, and what’s just right to keep our games as celebrated as they deserve to be.
If you have the imagination, craftsmanship, and well…healthy disregard for so-called rules, maybe you should join our Brand Marketing team.
- Craft Supercell’s game brands, define what brand marketing is, and help shape the standard for all mobile games marketing, in partnership with Supercell’s game teams in Helsinki and with Supercell’s creative agency partners
- Drive creative development across TV, online/mobile, outdoor, and other formats as applicable in partnership with the marketing art team and game teams. Ensure all Supercell marketing lives up to the quality-bar set by the games themselves and the expectations of our passionate, dedicated players
- Devise marketing strategies and integrated campaigns for games, in partnership with other marketing team members
- Measure campaign and brand performance with external research partners and Supercell’s data/rocket scientists
- 7+ years experience creating and marketing revered brands (games or not) – must know how to go “big”
- Towering strength in getting the best work from creative partners and managing creative development, from briefing through execution
- Experience in traditional media and brand marketing, required; experience in performance marketing, and how the two integrate, a big plus
- Ability to tame multiple projects across media channels, networks and platforms
- Human form of both Photoshop and Excel, representing a perfect blend of creative and analytical skills
- Preference for working without a handbook, with a love for doing what’s never been done before
- Passion for games, the developers who make them, and the players that love them is non-negotiable
Why you will love it here
- A first-row view into one of the currently most successful game companies in the world
- Opportunity to work with an extremely talented and experienced team
- Easy-going, enthusiastic, open and at the same time a very results-driven culture
- Regular trips to Supercell’s offices in Helsinki, Beijing, Seoul and Tokyo
- Competitive salary and industry leading benefits
- Smartphone, tablet, laptop/workstation of your own choice
- Awesome colleagues
Supercell aims to create games that millions of people will play for years or decades to come. We believe the best people make the best games, and that’s who we’re looking for. If you love games and are passionate about playing and crafting them, and you’re looking for a job that provides you ownership and independence, you’re in the right place.
Supercell isn’t an entertainment company, it isn’t a start-up, and it isn’t just any game company. Our focus sets us apart. Focus means saying no a lot. To release four games, we have killed fourteen. We’ve shut down marketing campaigns because they weren’t perfect for our players, and we’ve scrapped a ton of game features that were simply too niche.
We also believe that focus means staying small. We hire only the most passionate doers and arm them with the trust and support to make the biggest impact possible. As part of a small, independent team at Supercell, you’ll be free to dream and succeed (and sometimes fail) big!