Supercell is currently looking for a Data Scientist to join and help our game teams create better games. The ideal candidate will possess both an ability to do independent research and generate insights from large data sets as well as a hands-on attitude of servicing/managing day-to-day data requests and analyses. Your input to the game development is crucial, and you will be an important part of our game teams.
About the Team
As part of the Data Science Team at Supercell you’ll be embedded in a game team, actively contributing to game design and direction. Whether working on a live game or a new project, you’ll be responsible for making sure that the game team understands how our one hundred million plus daily players interact with the games. At Supercell we believe that the key to success is continuous learning and to learn you need feedback. Your responsibility as a data scientist will be to provide that feedback.
While we sit with different game teams, communication and knowledge sharing is vital. We frequently share our learnings, both successes and failures. You must be humble, pragmatic, willing to admit and explain your mistakes and learn from others. That way we’ll all learn and keep making the team better.
- Work with product teams to define data to be collected from our products for analysis
- Analysis of key performance indicators, such as retention, lifetime value, player acquisition and virtual economy balance
- Defining the data acquisition of A/B tests and analysis of the gathered A/B test data to estimate the effect on key metrics and provide recommendations
- Develop models for predicting player behavior
- Answer in-depth analytics questions from the team and create reports of the results
- Identify and report actionable insights to internal stakeholders, suggest recommendations and influence the direction of the business by effectively communicating results
- M.Sc./Ph.D. in a quantitative discipline (Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Economics, Electrical Engineering)
- 2+ years experience in a data scientist or analyst role, involving some of the following: data analytics, CRM data analysis, data mining, business intelligence, machine learning, predictive analytics
- Expert knowledge of SQL
- Proficient in (statistical) programming languages (R, Python, etc.)
- Knowledge of Big Data technologies (AWS EMR, Spark, Hadoop, columnar DBs, NoSQL, etc.)
- Experience in interpreting data and analytics results to provide actionable insight into user/product behavior and deriving conclusions from those insights
- Comfortable working in an international, fast-paced, challenging and stimulating organization
- Communication skills. Being able to compile and translate data, numbers and analyses into normal English, and present findings to non-technical audiences
- Passion for games
Nice to Haves
- Experience in the video game or entertainment industry, specifically focused on virtual economics
Why you will love it here
- Access to very rich petabyte scale data sets, which require you to keep up with the latest technologies and methodologies in the field of big data
- Independence and a lack of bureaucracy that clears the way for your to do the best work possible
- Great compensation and benefits. We create great teams and take very good care of them.
- Put smiles on the faces of the 100 million people who play our games every single day
- Travel to our offices in Seoul, San Francisco, Tokyo and Shanghai as well as annual company offsites
- Smartphone, tablet, laptop/workstation of your own choice
- Work on and with teams that inspire
Supercell aims to create games that millions of people will play for years or decades to come. We believe the best people make the best games, and that’s who we’re looking for. If you love games and are passionate about playing and crafting them, and you’re looking for a job that provides you ownership and independence, you’re in the right place.
Supercell isn’t an entertainment company, it isn’t a start-up, and it isn’t just any game company. Our focus sets us apart. Focus means saying no a lot. To release four games, we have killed fourteen. We’ve shut down marketing campaigns because they weren’t perfect for our players, and we’ve scrapped a ton of game features that were simply too niche.
We also believe that focus means staying small. We hire only the most passionate doers and arm them with the trust and support to make the biggest impact possible. As part of a small, independent team at Supercell, you’ll be free to dream and succeed (and sometimes fail) big!