3D Character Artist
United States, San Francisco
We want our players to love every experience with our game worlds and characters, both when playing our games and in everyday life. The Marketing Art team is responsible for the look and feel of our brands outside of the games themselves. We create loading screens, event designs, merchandising concepts, help guide TV animation, and much, much more. It’s a unique responsibility for a unique team distributed across every Supercell office in the world.
With so many people in so many different places, communication and collaboration is incredibly important, but the most important value is the ability and confidence to experiment. We’re looking for highly skilled artists with really big ideas. You’ll have the freedom to learn, try and do new, innovative things in the industry and collaborate with an incredibly talented team!
About the role
Remember the first time you saw Toy Story? Remember wondering, long after the film ended, how did they do that? And then as 3D animation grew artistically with each film your interest for 3D grew with it, that interest quickly developed into a passion for creating not just characters but creating 3D characters that have such incredible depth, and yet remain so wonderfully characterized by a unique and beautiful style that only 3D can achieve?
If you can relate, please read on.
We at Supercell are very passionate about creativity and art, we look up to the greats in arts and animation from the golden age of Disney and their 9 brilliant old men, to Japanese masters like Miyazaki and his geniuses and studio Ghibli, to the CG brilliance of Pixar - We aspire to inspire in the same way they have all inspired us.
We have a long way to go, but we are off to a good start we already have a beloved group of misfit characters that tens of millions of people around the world charge into battle with each and every day. And with the release of our latest game Clash Royale, that group of misfits is growing fast...
And so now we need to grow our art team to help us take one more step towards that lofty goal of inspiring others through our worlds, our characters and our art.
We need a brilliant 3D Character Artist to join our team in San Francisco and be hands on in creating 3D characters for this crazy world we lovingly call ‘Clash’.
We want to grow, and become a beacon of artistic quality - can you help us get there?
- Be a leader in creating incredible 3D characters
- Active in both the hands on creation of art and Art Direction for our animation partners
- Be a beacon of quality, not just for art, for everything we do
- Engage in critical review and feedback on all art projects
- Lead the development of high quality character art guidelines for external 3D partners
- Support and collaborate closely with 3D artists from the game and marketing teams
- Help mentor other artists, especially as it pertains to 3D art and process
- Enlighten coworkers with regular updates and conversation about ongoing projects
- Contribute to building and maintaining a strong, open and supportive office culture in San Francisco and Supercell in general
- 6+ years as a high poly character artist with at least 2 as a lead
- Expert understanding of shaders, especially within the Arnold Rendering Toolset
- Expert level Maya modeling
- High level Rigging capabilities
- 3dMax experience a plus
- Proactive communicator
- Ability to interpret from 2D concepts and verbal direction to create 3D masterpieces
- Extensive experience giving detailed feedback and communicating direction between both internal teams and external partners
- Cast a critical eye on your own work and look for improvement
- To be able to succeed, you need to be a strong team player, passionate, committed and in general an autonomous person with a high level of initiative and energy
- Online portfolio and/or demo reel is required and must be included with application
Why you’ll love it here
- Independence and a lack of bureaucracy that clears the way for your to do the best work possible
- A chance to be a key player in the development of an ambitious art team and creative culture.
- Opportunity to work with a team of gaming, marketing and art veterans, top talent and passionate artists
- Great compensation and benefits. We create great teams and take very good care of them.
- Put smiles on the faces of the 100 million people who play our games every single day
- Travel to our offices in Helsinki, Seoul, San Francisco, Tokyo and Beijing as well as annual company offsite meetings
- Smartphone, tablet, laptop/workstation of your own choice
- Work on and with teams that inspire
Supercell aims to create games that millions of people will play for years or decades to come. We believe the best people make the best games, and that’s who we’re looking for. If you love games and are passionate about playing and crafting them, and you’re looking for a job that provides you ownership and independence, you’re in the right place.
Supercell isn’t an entertainment company, it isn’t a start-up, and it isn’t just any game company. Our focus sets us apart. Focus means saying no a lot. To release four games, we have killed fourteen. We’ve shut down marketing campaigns because they weren’t perfect for our players, and we’ve scrapped a ton of game features that were simply too niche.
We also believe that focus means staying small. We hire only the most passionate doers and arm them with the trust and support to make the biggest impact possible. As part of a small, independent team at Supercell, you’ll be free to dream and succeed (and sometimes fail) big!