Hey there! We are looking for an “Art Director” to join us. We won't call you “Art Director” though, we will call you the same thing we call all our creative artists, who work on our game teams: Game Artist. “Why?” you might ask. Well, we’re not really into titles in our lean organisation, and the role itself is more important than a title, as well as how descriptive the title is of what you will _actually_ be doing. You will be making Game Art. Easy, right?
About the role
This is what a Game Artist at Supercell does:
- Works on the development of a visual style, design and overall look of any project
- Creates beautiful characters, assets and environments to be rolled out into the game
- Develops visual concepts and ideas
- Contributes with artwork ideas toward communities and forums
- Gets involved in the look and feel of further projects including animation, community and marketing
- Supports team in game design, working closely with programmers, community and everyone else on a tightly knit game team
- Generally just nails 2D, 3D and/or UI art for mobile games
Basically you will be doing way more than just directing art. As you will most likely be the only artist or one of two on a team of around five developers, ideas and opinions won’t really get you anywhere unless you can be hands-on and able to execute and produce graphics and assets yourself. But that’s anyway the fun part, right?
These are the things we require from all our talented and passionate Game Artists:
- Capability to independently create concept sketches and maybe even final renderings/tweaks and animation
- Ability to create a variety of production quality, Supercell style, 3D art
- Proven experience with 3D software e.g. Maya / 3DS Max
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and Flash
- Pride and responsibility in your work when given the freedom to work independently
- Modesty and respect when receiving feedback from your team
- Appreciation and understanding of User Interface design
- Previous experience in game development and game art
Again, we’re not looking for just any artists, we’re looking for Game Artists that love, play, live and breath games. Ultimately your heart beats for game development. You will need to be a generalist in the sense that you should be able to independently design, execute and make your assets work in a game. You will be surrounded by people who will help you become a better game developer each day, inspire you and push you to break mobile games as we know them today. And you will also do the same to the people you are working with.
If you are still reading this and we’ve managed to spark your interest, put together a resume and send over some of your previous work. You don’t need to tell us how good you are, your work should speak for itself. We’d be happy to have you join our talented team, and have you work together with the creators of e.g. P.E.K.K.A, Greg, the Lava Hound and the Boom Beach archipelago.
Why you will love it here
- Independence and a lack of bureaucracy that clears the way for your to do the best work possible
- Strong compensation and benefits. We create great teams and take very good care of them.
- Put smiles on the faces of the 100 million people who play our games every single day
- Travel to our offices in Seoul, San Francisco, Tokyo and Shanghai, as well as annual company off-site meetings
- Work with kind, humble teams that inspire
Supercell aims to create games that millions of people will play for years or decades to come. We believe the best people make the best games, and that’s who we’re looking for. If you love games and are passionate about playing and crafting them, and you’re looking for a job that provides you ownership and independence, you’re in the right place.
Supercell isn’t an entertainment company, it isn’t a start-up, and it isn’t just any game company. Our focus sets us apart. Focus means saying no a lot. To release four games, we have killed fourteen. We’ve shut down marketing campaigns because they weren’t perfect for our players, and we’ve scrapped a ton of game features that were simply too niche.
We also believe that focus means staying small. We hire only the most passionate doers and arm them with the trust and support to make the biggest impact possible. As part of a small, independent team at Supercell, you’ll be free to dream and succeed (and sometimes fail) big!