Supercell is looking for a Data Engineer to work closely with our game teams. As a Data Engineer, you will develop and operate data pipelines that help our game teams deliver fully tailored game experiences. You will also participate in machine learning model design and implementation, together with the data scientists. Your responsibility is keeping the data and models fresh for serving our 100M+ daily players.
You enjoy working equally much in data processing, software development, and service operations. You strive to create an ETL dataflow that can scale to handle any new features that our live game teams want to build. You understand how to build low maintenance distributed data processing systems, especially for machine learning applications.
About the team
As part of the Machine Learning Team at Supercell, you'll be working closely with all game teams, building reusable components that integrate with our live games. Together with the game teams, you will run the tech behind the live operations (live ops) in our games, and deliver a fresh and relevant game experience to our players every day. You will also work on data products outside of live ops, including data-informed game balancing, search and recommendations, and others.
You will be working in a fast changing environment together with a team of professionals. We do not believe in bureaucracy, nor are there any solo artists at Supercell. We all work together to achieve the best results. All of us have a genuine chance to contribute to the final product. We believe in each other's skills and value each other's work. If these are values that you are passionate about, then you might just be the person we are looking for.
While we work with different game teams, communication and knowledge sharing is vital. We frequently share our learnings, both successes and failures. You must be humble, pragmatic, and willing to admit and explain your mistakes and learn from others. That way we'll all learn and keep making the team better.
Your main responsibility is to build and operate data-driven features in our live games. This includes the following aspects:
- Build and operate ETL and data pipelines
- Scale the training and serving of machine learning models to tens or even hundreds of millions of data points
- Create monitoring and testing capabilities for data-driven product features
- Apply best practices for continuous integration and deployment of machine learning models
- Contribute to machine learning model design and implementation
- Development and operations (DevOps) of production software, in and out of our game codebase
- Independently create complete solutions from scratch
- Work as part of a team, but with plenty of opportunity to take responsibility on an individual level
- 5+ years experience in a data engineer or software engineer role, involving the development and operations of distributed data processing systems
- Excellent programming skills, preferably both in Python and Java/Scala, because our machine learning stack is in Python while the live games run on Java
- Experience with cloud computing, preferably AWS
- Proficient in big data and ETL technologies (AWS EMR, Spark, Airflow, or similar)
- Ability to think clearly under pressure – you are expected to be able to respond to and troubleshoot a wide range of issues in a production environment
- Being passionate and committed to tasks, while maintaining an open and respectful attitude towards others and their work
- Enthusiasm towards games in general
- Experience of operating machine learning products in the wild, on a scale of 100M+ daily users
- Experience in feature engineering and model design for machine learning
- Experience with modern machine learning software (TensorFlow, PyTorch, Spark MLlib)
- Experience with Parquet file format
Why you will love it here
- Independence and a lack of bureaucracy that clears the way for your to do the best work possible
- Strong compensation and benefits. We create great teams and take very good care of them.
- Put smiles on the faces of the 100 million people who play our games every single day
- Travel to our offices in Seoul, San Francisco, Tokyo and Shanghai, as well as annual company off-site meetings
- Work with kind, humble teams that inspire
Supercell aims to create games that millions of people will play for years or decades to come. We believe the best people make the best games, and that’s who we’re looking for. If you love games and are passionate about playing and crafting them, and you’re looking for a job that provides you ownership and independence, you’re in the right place.
Supercell isn’t an entertainment company, it isn’t a start-up, and it isn’t just any game company. Our focus sets us apart. Focus means saying no a lot. To release four games, we have killed fourteen. We’ve shut down marketing campaigns because they weren’t perfect for our players, and we’ve scrapped a ton of game features that were simply too niche.
We also believe that focus means staying small. We hire only the most passionate doers and arm them with the trust and support to make the biggest impact possible. As part of a small, independent team at Supercell, you’ll be free to dream and succeed (and sometimes fail) big!