eSports & Competition
The China team is responsible for bringing the best of Supercell to China and Chinese gamers. There is a huge gaming market and a gigantic player base in China, especially when you consider that we’re the smallest team at Supercell! That means that each individual member of the China Team has the opportunity to make an immense impact on how we market and operate our games in the local market.
In an ultra-competitive market, this requires an approach that meets and exceeds the expectations of Chinese players, but is still in line with the global vision of Supercell. Every member of the China team is going to be responsible for a lot, and must be religious about quality and challenging conventions at every possible turn! We’re looking for people who are used to driving initiatives forward independently, can multi-task and who are ready to take big, creative risks to help us win.
About the role
We believe that eSports makes competitive games even more fun for players. Yes, even mobile games – in fact, especially mobile games. As a leader in Supercell’s China eSports team, you’ll be part of the leadership that shapes the future of the eSports industry. You might negotiate with partners, devise strategies, run an eSports championship or create entertainment eSport experiences. Your role may encompass league operations, player & influencer management, production, business development, marketing, branding, e-commerce, and more.
eSports is becoming a big part of our marketing plans for our games like Clash Royale as we work towards engaging our global player base through organized competition. But what exactly is eSports for a mobile, social game? How should mobile eSports differ from the established PC and console eSports scene? We don’t have the answers, but we do believe that through the reach and ubiquity of mobile devices, eSports can become more mainstream and evolve into something that everyone does, everywhere. If you want to bring that vision to life, read on.
In China, we’ve run some epic Clash Royale Tournaments – Clash Legendary Open and the Shanghai Tournament. Globally, we’ve recently launched our first Global Tournament for Clash Royale, The Crown Championship. It’s a massive tournament open to players around the world. We’re excited about this, and even more excited about what’s coming next. To make it all happen, we are looking for someone to oversee eSports strategy, planning, promotion and execution in China.
- 7+ Years experience in games/sports/entertainment/media industries
- 3+ Years experience defining & executing eSports & competition in video games – but the preference to work without a playbook and to write an entirely new one.
- Proven love for doing what’s never been done before.
- A hands on, self-sufficient individual that can work independently
- Passion for games, the developers who make them, and the players that love them is non-negotiable.
- Established commitment for doing what’s best for players, first and foremost.
- Towering strength in getting the best work from internal & external partners
- Define and shape the eSports vision & strategy for Supercell’s current and future mobile games in China; be a true pioneer in the mobile eSports industry
- Establish all aspects of eSports in China including production, operations, player management, events, marketing, communities
- Devise & produce Supercell eSports content into a popular form of entertainment to deepen engagement with our players
- Partner with our game development teams in Helsinki to integrate competitive & spectating needs into games
- Develop new/unique competitive formats & systems to support local China & global competition and to drive massive participation and viewership
- Work hand-in-hand with our Community & Marketing team members to plan, produce & execute competitive events in-person and online
- Cultivate and develop an ecosystem including: live-streaming & mobile platforms, content distributors, production companies, event organizers, communities, teams/organizations, and sponsors – as you see fit
Why you will love it here
- A first-row view into one of the currently most successful game companies in the world
- Opportunity to work with an extremely talented and experienced team; our China team is small and you will have independence and a lack of bureaucracy that clears the way for you to do the best work possible
- Easy-going, enthusiastic, open and at the same time a very results-driven culture
- Regular trips to Supercell’s offices in Helsinki, San Francisco, Tokyo & Seoul
- Competitive salary and industry leading benefits
- Smartphone, tablet, laptop/workstation of your own choice
- Awesome colleagues
Supercell aims to create games that millions of people will play for years or decades to come. We believe the best people make the best games, and that’s who we’re looking for. If you love games and are passionate about playing and crafting them, and you’re looking for a job that provides you ownership and independence, you’re in the right place.
Supercell isn’t an entertainment company, it isn’t a start-up, and it isn’t just any game company. Our focus sets us apart. Focus means saying no a lot. To release four games, we have killed fourteen. We’ve shut down marketing campaigns because they weren’t perfect for our players, and we’ve scrapped a ton of game features that were simply too niche.
We also believe that focus means staying small. We hire only the most passionate doers and arm them with the trust and support to make the biggest impact possible. As part of a small, independent team at Supercell, you’ll be free to dream and succeed (and sometimes fail) big!