Senior Server Engineer, Games Team
As part of the Server Team at Supercell, you won’t just be “yet another server engineer,” you’ll be embedded in a game team, actively contributing to game design and direction. Whether working on a live game or a new project, you’ll be responsible for making sure that our one hundred million plus daily players get the best, most uninterrupted experience possible.
While we sit with different game teams, communication is absolutely vital to our success. We frequently share our learnings - both successes and failures - to make our team better. You must be humble, pragmatic and willing to admit and explain your mistakes. That way, the next time something goes wrong, we’ll all be better prepared.
Being part of the Server Team is definitely a challenge. While we always try to have each others backs, during an on-call shift you may find yourself facing a tricky problem alone at 4:00 AM. Being able to operate under pressure is essential!
About the role
Do you have experience of developing live systems and the virtual domain? Do you understand what it means to support a system with big user volumes? Or are these areas that you find interesting and want to work with?
We offer you a chance to join a team of professionals which believes that talent feeds talent. We do not believe in bureaucracy, nor are there any solo artists at Supercell. We all work together to achieve the best results. All of us have a genuine chance to contribute to the final product. We believe in each other’s skills and value each other’s work. If these are values that you are passionate about, then you might just be the person we are looking for.
- Design, implementation, deployment and maintenance of highly-scalable and available backends for live games
- Contribute to best-practices on reliability and availability
- Troubleshoot and tune high-volume shared database systems
- Periodically offer round-the-clock first-line support of the production environments, as part of a rotating on-call duty
- Game teams are typically small, and server engineers will contribute to game design discussions
- Enthusiasm towards games in general
- Excellent Java programming skills – minimum of 5 years experience with server-side Java, including POJO’s, concurrency handling, and distributed systems
- Good experience with Linux shell and scripting languages
- Database design and implementation skills, and good SQL knowledge
- Ability to think clearly under pressure. We aim for minimal downtime in our games, and you are expected to be able to respond to and troubleshoot a wide range of issues in a production environment
- Being passionate and committed to tasks, and in general an autonomous person with high levels of initiative and energy
- An open and respectful attitude towards others and their work
- Knowledge of network protocols and non-blocking IO
- Familiarity with Cloud computing
- Previous working experience on high-throughput live systems is a big plus. If absent, then at least a solid appreciation of the challenges involved is expected
- Experience in server development without application servers
Why you will love it here
- A first-row view into one of the most successful game companies in the world
- Opportunity to work with a team of gaming veterans, top talent, and passionate gamers
- Put smiles on the faces of the 100 million people who play our games every single day
- Competitive compensation and benefits. We create great teams and take very good care of them.
- Independence and a lack of bureaucracy that clears the way for you to do the best work possible
- Opportunity to travel to our offices in Helsinki, Seoul, San Francisco, Tokyo and Shanghai as well as annual company off-site meeting
- Work with kind, humble teams that inspire
Supercell aims to create games that millions of people will play for years or decades to come. We believe the best people make the best games, and that’s who we’re looking for. If you love games and are passionate about playing and crafting them, and you’re looking for a job that provides you ownership and independence, you’re in the right place.
Supercell isn’t an entertainment company, it isn’t a start-up, and it isn’t just any game company. Our focus sets us apart. Focus means saying no a lot. To release four games, we have killed fourteen. We’ve shut down marketing campaigns because they weren’t perfect for our players, and we’ve scrapped a ton of game features that were simply too niche.
We also believe that focus means staying small. We hire only the most passionate doers and arm them with the trust and support to make the biggest impact possible. As part of a small, independent team at Supercell, you’ll be free to dream and succeed (and sometimes fail) big!