Senior Server Engineer, Brawl Stars
We are looking for an experienced Server Engineer to join the Brawl Stars team. As a Server Engineer at Supercell, you'll be embedded in a game team, actively contributing to game design and direction. Whether working on a live game or a new project, you'll be responsible for making sure that our tens of millions of daily players get the best, most uninterrupted experience possible. In the Brawl Stars team you will be working closely with client programmers and other team members to develop new game features.
Communication between server engineers in different game teams is absolutely vital to our success. Our server engineers frequently share learnings – both successes and failures – across game teams to make each team better. You must be humble, pragmatic and willing to admit and explain your mistakes. That way, the next time something goes wrong, we'll all be better prepared.
If you have experience of developing live systems and using virtualized computing, and you understand what it means to support a system with large user volumes, in addition to being interested and excited about game feature development, you might just be the person we're looking for!
- Design, implementation, deployment and maintenance of highly-scalable and available backends for live games
- Work closely with client programmers and other team members to develop new game features and actively contribute to game design discussions
- Contribute to best-practices on reliability and availability
- Troubleshoot and tune high-volume sharded database systems
- Periodically offer round-the-clock first-line support of the production environments, as part of a rotating on-call duty
- Prior experience in game development, enthusiasm towards games and game feature development in general
- Excellent Java programming skills – minimum of 5 years experience with server-side Java, concurrency handling, and distributed systems
- Good experience with Linux shell and scripting languages
- Database design and implementation skills, and good SQL knowledge
- Familiarity with Cloud computing
- Ability to think clearly under pressure. We aim for minimal downtime in our games, and you are expected to be able to respond to and troubleshoot a wide range of issues in a production environment.
- Being passionate and committed to tasks, and in general an autonomous person with high levels of initiative and energy
- An open and respectful attitude towards others and their work
- Knowledge of network protocols and non-blocking IO
- Previous working experience on high-throughput live systems is a big plus. If absent, then at least a solid appreciation of the challenges involved is expected.
- Experience in server development without application servers