Helsinki, Finland — fulltime
Senior Server Engineer
We are now looking for experienced Senior Server Engineers to join our game teams in Helsinki. As a Server Engineer at Supercell, you'll be embedded in a game team, working closely with other game developers and focusing on making sure that our hundreds of millions of monthly players get the best, most uninterrupted experience possible. Depending on the game and your own interests, you can focus more on the general game server infrastructure or new game feature development – and sometimes you do both.
The team we are focused on adding a server engineer first is Clash of Clans but there's openings also in other game teams like Brawl Stars and Hay Day.
Communication between server engineers in different game teams is absolutely vital to our success. Our server engineers frequently share learnings, both successes and failures, across game teams to make each team better. You must be humble, pragmatic and willing to admit and explain your mistakes. That way, the next time something goes wrong, we'll all be better prepared.
If you have experience in developing live systems and using virtualized computing, and you understand what it means to support a system with large user volumes, you might just be the person we're looking for!
- Design, implementation, deployment and maintenance of highly scalable and available backends for live games
- Contribute to best practices on reliability and availability
- Troubleshoot and tune high-volume sharded database systems
- Periodically offer round-the-clock, first-line support to the production environments, as part of a rotating on-call duty
- Game teams are typically small, and server engineers will also have the chance to contribute to game design discussions
- Excellent Java programming skills, including experience with server-side Java, concurrency handling, and distributed systems
- Good experience with Linux shell and scripting languages
- Database design and implementation skills, and good SQL knowledge
- Experience with cloud computing (e.g. AWS) and Terraform
- Being passionate and committed to tasks, and in general an autonomous person with high levels of initiative and energy
- An open and respectful attitude towards others and their work
- Knowledge of network protocols and non-blocking IO
- Previous working experience on high-throughput live systems is a big plus. If absent, then at least a solid appreciation of the challenges involved is expected
- Prior experience in game development is a plus but not required as long as you are passionate about games
- Experience in server development without application servers
Meet the Team
While we are hiring this role for multiple of our game teams, if you are curious to learn what life in the Clash of Clans team could look like, check out this little article.
Benefits and Compensation
Luring you in with glitter, glamour, and gems is not what we seek to do. We develop Supercell as an employer for you to do your best work and to call this the best experience in your professional life. We want you to fully enjoy your time here, so we structure our compensation and benefits to serve this purpose. We start with perceiving you as a human being, not a resource. Read More
We are a game company based in Helsinki, Finland, with offices in San Francisco, Seoul and Shanghai. Since our launch in 2010, we've released five games globally – Hay Day, Clash of Clans, Boom Beach, Clash Royale and Brawl Stars.
To make five games, we've killed dozens along the way. That's because we're obsessed with quality. Our goal is to make the best games – games that are played by millions, enjoyed for years and remembered forever. To achieve this goal, we create the best possible teams and give them the freedom and independence that are core to our success. Read More
You might love it here...
If you love to think, talk, play and make games, Supercell is the place for you. We're made up of proactive, independent teams with the freedom to do what they think is best for their players, our games and the company at large. We know that it takes more than just independence to make great games, so we also take very good care of our people – providing them with the compensation, work environment and resources they need to succeed. Read More
This position is in Helsinki, but you're not?
Luckily, moving to Helsinki is easier than you might think. No matter where you would be moving from, our dedicated people will help you from beginning to end. We're here to make sure the process is as smooth as possible for you, your family and whoever and whatever you're bringing along. Read More