Senior Server Engineer, Game Team
We are looking for an experienced Server Engineer to join our game teams. As a Server Engineer at Supercell, you'll be embedded in a game team, actively contributing to game design and direction. Whether working on a live game or a new project, you'll be responsible for making sure that our tens of millions of daily players get the best, most uninterrupted experience possible.
While we sit with different game teams, communication is absolutely vital to our success. We frequently share our learnings - both successes and failures - across game teams to make each team better. You must be humble, pragmatic and willing to admit and explain your mistakes. That way, the next time something goes wrong, we'll all be better prepared.
If you have experience of developing live systems and using virtualized computing, and you understand what it means to support a system with large user volumes, in addition to being interested and excited about working in these areas - you might just be the person we're looking for!
- Design, implementation, deployment and maintenance of highly-scalable and available backends for live games
- Contribute to best-practices on reliability and availability
- Troubleshoot and tune high-volume sharded database systems
- Periodically offer round-the-clock first-line support of the production environments, as part of a rotating on-call duty
- Game teams are typically small, and server engineers will contribute to game design discussions
- Enthusiasm towards games in general
- Excellent Java programming skills – minimum of 5 years experience with server-side Java, concurrency handling, and distributed systems
- Good experience with Linux shell and scripting languages
- Database design and implementation skills, and good SQL knowledge
- Familiarity with Cloud computing
- Ability to think clearly under pressure. We aim for minimal downtime in our games, and you are expected to be able to respond to and troubleshoot a wide range of issues in a production environment.
- Being passionate and committed to tasks, and in general an autonomous person with high levels of initiative and energy
- An open and respectful attitude towards others and their work
- Knowledge of network protocols and non-blocking IO
- Previous working experience on high-throughput live systems is a big plus. If absent, then at least a solid appreciation of the challenges involved is expected.
- Experience in server development without application servers
We are a mobile game developer based in Helsinki, Finland, with offices in San Francisco, Tokyo, Seoul and Shanghai. Since our launch in 2010, we've released five games globally – Hay Day, Clash of Clans, Boom Beach, Clash Royale and Brawl Stars.
To make five games, we've killed dozens along the way. That's because we're obsessed with quality. Our goal is to make the best games – games that are played by millions, enjoyed for years and remembered forever. To achieve this goal, we create the best possible teams and give them the freedom and independence that are core to our success.
You might love it here...
If you love to think, talk, play and make games, Supercell is the place for you. We're made up of proactive, independent teams with the freedom to do what they think is best for their players, our games and the company at large. We know that it takes more than just independence to make great games, so we also take very good care of our people - providing them with the compensation, work environment and resources they need to succeed.
This position is in Finland but you are not?
Luckily, moving to Finland is easier than you might think. No matter where you would be moving from, our dedicated people will help you from beginning to end. We're here to make sure the process is as smooth as possible for you, your family and whoever and whatever you're bringing along.