Senior Server Engineer, China Growth Team
We are now looking for experienced Senior Server Engineers to join us in Shanghai office. As a Server Engineer at Supercell, you'll be embedded in China Growth team, working closely with game developers and focusing on making sure that our millions of monthly players get the best, most uninterrupted experience possible. You will focus on general game server infrastructure as prioritized work scope, or new game feature development if your interests lead.
Communication between server engineers in different game teams across offices is absolutely vital to our success. Our server engineers frequently share learnings, both successes and failures, across game teams to make each team better. You must be humble, pragmatic and willing to admit and explain your mistakes. That way, the next time something goes wrong, we'll all be better prepared.
If you have experience in developing live systems and using virtualized computing, and you understand what it means to support a system with large user volumes, you might just be the person we're looking for!
- Implement, deploy and maintain highly scalable and available backends for live games
- Contribute to best practices on reliability and availability
- Troubleshoot and tune high-volume sharded database systems
- Periodically offer round-the-clock, first-line support to the production environments, as part of a rotating on-call duty
- Game teams are typically small, and server engineers will also have the chance to contribute to game design discussions
- Excellent Java programming skills, including experience with server-side Java, concurrency handling, and distributed systems
- Good experience with Linux shell and scripting languages
- Database design and implementation skills, and good SQL knowledge
- Experience with cloud computing (e.g. AWS) and Terraform
- Being passionate and committed to tasks, and in general an autonomous person with high levels of initiative and energy
- An open and respectful attitude towards others and their work
- Fluent in both English and Chinese
- Knowledge of network protocols and non-blocking IO
- Previous working experience on high-throughput live systems is a big plus. If absent, then at least a solid appreciation of the challenges involved is expected
- Prior experience in game development is a plus but not required as long as you are passionate about games
- Experience in server development without application servers